The classic barbarian 5e features in all kinds of media being a skilled warrior under the clothed and strong as an ox. The classic barbarian guide expresses the practices of barbarian 5e has been around since the 3x version of dungeons and dragons and nodded to in a number of prestige classes. The 5th edition manages to reinvent the barbarian warrior in some way.
The barbarian holds a solid front-line role that it can play at the party. This has a more linear power curve than other classes and lacks some of the build versatility shown with others while this barbarian5e crop guide is aimed at giving some mechanical advice, remember that character optimization means different things to different players.
This is truly an effective character and is more than the notches on its axe. The guide builds on those that have come on before it and adds new subclasses from Xanathar’s guide to everything.
- 1 Barbarian 5e
- 1.1 Attributes
- 1.2 The core barbarian
- 1.3 What the barbarians 5e
- 1.4 Path of the Wild Soul Features
- 1.5 The rage
- 1.6 Hit Points
- 1.7 Proficiencies
- 1.8 Equipment
- 1.9 Origin of the Beast
- 1.10 How to become a barbarian
- 1.11 Primal Path
- 1.12 Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.12.1 Q1: Does a barbarian’s rage give up if they assault a phantasm of a creature?
- 1.12.2 Q2: Can a raging barbarian elevate stay rabbits to kill them, in order to keep his rage going?
- 1.12.3 Q3: Can a Zealot Barbarian at zero hp be disintegrated?
- 1.12.4 Q4: Where Does Your Rage Come From?
- 1.12.5 Q5: How Did You Learn to Depend Upon Yourself?
- 1.12.6 Q6: How Much Does It Mean to You That Your Companions Accept You?
- 1.12.7 Q7: Is the Barbarian Good in 5e?
The first step of becoming a great barbarian is knowing what you are and what you aren’t. The barbarian is not a fighter. Where the fighter is versatile, sharp, and precise. It’s the barbarian that is raw, blunt, and a force of nature.
As a barbarian, you will be playing an incredible game of risk vs. reward. At its core, the barbarian has a ton of built-in survival. It’s the highest hit dice in the game being baked in resistances, advantage versus a ton of effects, and the ability to stay fighting even after dropping to 0. The barbarian is amongst the best of the best when it comes to staying alive in the melee.
The barbarian holds the ability to trade in some of that defense for some instant offense. It’s not always the “optimal” choice but it can be a brutal addition when it’s triggered.
|1st||+2||Rage, Unarmored Defense||2||+2|
|2nd||+2||Reckless Attack, Danger Sense||2||+2|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement||3||+2|
|5th||+3||Extra Attack, Fast Movement||3||+2|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement||4||+2|
|9th||+4||Brutal Critical (1 die)||4||+3|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement||5||+3|
|13th||+5||Brutal Critical (2 dice)||5||+3|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement||5||+4|
|17th||+6||Brutal Critical (3 dice)||6||+4|
|18th||+6||Ability Score Improvement||6||+4|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement||6||+4|
|Starting Gold||2d4 x 10|
|Suggested Abilities||Strength, Constitution|
|Subclass Name||Primal Path|
The core barbarian
As the barbarian D&D 5e states the melee classes like the 5e fighter, paladin, or ranger, the barbarian has a narrow focus of specific stats it needs to have. There is really no strong dex-based option here. You need str. From this point forward, the common color coding is being used which is as follows:-
- The sky blue colors tops of the line choice and the barbarian optimization starts here.
- Blue is considered a very strong choice and black is a solid choice that has even better options but it’s more than serviceable.
- The purple is not the top tier but it may have niche use and there are better options that exist.
- The red color is mechanically weak and if you feel it fits your concept, go for it. But you will likely be less effective.
What the barbarians 5e
The barbarians are tall human tribesmen who stride through a blizzard. This is draped in fur and hefting his axe. He laughs as he charges toward the frost giant who dared poach his people’s elk horde. A half-orc snarls at the latest challenger to her authority over their savage tribe and is ready to break his neck with her bare hands as she did to the last six rivals. Frothing at the mouth, there is a dwarf slam his helmet into the face of his drow foe, then turns to drive his armored elbow into the gut of another.
These barbarians are different as they might be and are defined by their rage, unbridled, unquenchable, and unthinking fury. There are more than just emotions as their anger is the ferocity of a cornered predator. The unrelenting assault of a storm with the churning turmoil of the sea. For some their rage springs from communion with the fierce animal spirits. Others draw from a boiling reservoir of anger at a world full of pain. For every single barbarian, rage is a power that fuels not just a battle frenzy but also uncanny reflexes, resilience, and feasts of strength.
Path of the Wild Soul Features
|3rd||Lingering Magic, Wild Surge|
|6th||Magic Reserves 1d4|
|14th||Chaotic Fury, Magic Reserves 1d6|
In the battle, you are going to fight with primal ferocity. In the turn, you are going to enter a rage as a bonus action. While raging you are going to gain the best of benefits as long as you aren’t wearing heavy armor.
- You are going to get an advantage on strength checks and strength saves.
- You are going to make a melee weapon attack using the strength and you are gain a +2 to the damage roll. This bonus increase to + 3 at the 9th level, and +4 at 16th
- There will be resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and physical damage.
If you are casting the spells then you can’t cast them or concentrate on them while raging. At the last 1 minute, it ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends without you being attacked by a hostile creature or taken any damage since your last turn. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.
When there is armor, the class of it is 10+ and your dexterity modifier is added to the constitution modifier. You can then use a shield and then still gain the benefits.
- Hit Dice: 1d12 per barbarian level
- Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + your Constitution modifier
- Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 7) + your Constitution modifier per barbarian level after 1st
- Armor: Light armor, medium armor, shields
- Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
- Tools: None
- Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
- Skills: Choose two from Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, and Survival
- (a) a great axe or (b) any martial melee weapon
- (a) two handaxes or (b) any simple weapon
- An explorer’s pack and four javelins
Origin of the Beast
|1||One of your parents is a lycanthrope, and you’ve inherited some of the curse.|
|2||You are descended from a legendary druid, a fact manifested by your ability to partially change shape.|
|3||A fey spirit gifted you with the ability to adopt different bestial aspects.|
|4||An ancient animal spirit dwells within you, allowing you to walk this path.|
How to become a barbarian
As being stated about the barbarian 5e in the barbarian D&D 5e, the first step to becoming a great barbarian is knowing what you are and what is basics of your identity. The barbarian is not at all a fighter. The fighter is versatile, sharp, and precise.
The barbarian is completely raw, blunt, and a force of nature. They have a ton of built-in survivability and with the highest hit dice in the game, baked in resistances, advantage versus a ton of effect, and the ability to stay fighting even after dropping to the null factor. The barbarian is amongst the best of the best when it comes to staying alive in melee.
Apart from that, they carry the ability to trade in some of that defense for some instant offense. This is really not the optimal choice but can be a brutal addition when it’s triggered.
• Ancestral Guardian
• Beast (UA)
• Storm Herald
• Totem Warrior
• Wild Soul (UA)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Does a barbarian’s rage give up if they assault a phantasm of a creature?
- Yes. A phantasm is no longer a creature. The rule is clear that Bobby should assault an adversarial creature, or take damage, to hold his rage.
Q2: Can a raging barbarian elevate stay rabbits to kill them, in order to keep his rage going?
- No, that is no longer how rage works.
Q3: Can a Zealot Barbarian at zero hp be disintegrated?
- Yes, When harm reduces you to zero hit factors and there is harm remaining, you die if the ultimate injury equals or exceeds your hit factor maximum.
Q4: Where Does Your Rage Come From?
- The traditional reply is that you are an uncivilized individual and you in reality can’t manipulate yourself.
Q5: How Did You Learn to Depend Upon Yourself?
- Barbarians regularly have the survival talent and different capabilities that would assist them to do nicely on their own. That is comprehensible thinking about the basic barbarian is one that shuns civilized society for the herbal world.
Q6: How Much Does It Mean to You That Your Companions Accept You?
- No man or woman can exist barring interacting with others. Even the most standoffish dwarf nevertheless wishes friends. Barbarians can also be self-sufficient, however, they nevertheless want buddies and companions as well.
Q7: Is the Barbarian Good in 5e?
- yes. The Barbarian type in DnD 5e is good. While the standard Barbarian appears limited, the category has a shocking quantity of flexibility in how you play.